Who needs an excuse to make a bucket of popcorn?!
This is my kids’ definite party must-have, well, make that our grown-up entertaining must-have with cocktails and mocktails accompanied by spicy mixed nuts…mmmnn. Just our family’s favourite snack and best kept secret, whether or not we have our eyes glued to a screen. Like I said, why reserve popcorn just for the movies! Once you’ve mastered the art of making your own, there’s no end to the possibilities of gourmet popcorn at home, even savoury ones. I add herbs and spices to my salty popcorn, including a chilli recipe which I’m thinking of adding chocolate to. Wrinkling your nose? Why, haven’t you heard that there’s chilli-chocolate gelato these days. Not for the faint-hearted, but it’s true that some of my best recipes were borne out of sheer adventure. Never be afraid to dream up something that’s never attempted before. You’ll just never know where your kitchen adventures could take you.
As for this recipe, say goodbye to chewy-sticky-sweet caramel popcorn. This packs a powerful crunch that’s just the perfect sweetness and the salt balances it all perfectly. You can add up to a teaspoon of salt if you like. Caution: Super addictive. You’re welcome.
Crunchy Salted Caramel Popcorn Recipe
1 Cup caster sugar
2 T vegetable oil
1/4 Cup golden syrup
1/2 Cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup popping corn (popped and ready)
1. Melt 100g butter in a small saucepan, then pour in the cup of sugar and lightly stir into butter to melt. Keep a low heat to avoid burning.
2. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil into a 1/4 Cup, add into sugar and butter, then pour the golden syrup into the same 1/4 Cup so that it makes for easy washing later.
3. Add the honey and salt, stir well and leave to caramelise till mixture bubbles and turns a golden brown. Turn off the heat.
4. Prepare a large mixing bowl and tip the popped popcorn into the bowl.
5. Using a non-stick or silicon spatula, pour the caramel over the popcorn and stir quickly to mix it.
6. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, spread caramel-covered popcorn over the tray and bake till set and slightly crunchy at 160 degrees (fan-forced) for 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Allow popcorn to cool before handling—break clumps into smaller bite-sized pieces.
8. Once fully cooled, store in an airtight container and consume within 2 days.